Hiring Organization / Company: Federal Public Defender, Western District Of Texas
Basic Salary: To Be Discussed
Employement Type: Full-Time
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT 21-11
NATIONAL INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS AND APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT
IT SECURITY SPECIALIST (TEMPORARY/PERMANENT)
Office of the Federal Public Defender
Western District of Texas ( SAN ANTONIO)
THE FEDERAL PUBLIC DEFENDER, Western District of Texas is accepting applications for the position of IT Security Specialist,
National Information Technology Operations and Applications Development (NITOAD), in San Antonio, Texas. This is a temporary position for one year and a day, with the option to convert to a permanent position with acceptable job performance. The NITOAD branch supports the federal defender program’s staffed offices in 204 locations throughout the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Guam. The federal defender program operates under authority of the Criminal Justice Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3006A, to provide defense services in federal criminal cases and related matters by appointment from the court to individuals unable to afford counsel.
Requirements. To qualify as a NITOAD IT Security Specialist, a person must be a high school graduate or equivalent and have at least three years of general experience and two years of specialized experience. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or eligible to work for the federal government. This position requires occasional travel. A candidate must understand issues surrounding the handling of confidential information including the attorney/client privilege; be self-motivated to analyze and interpret common technical journals and documents; apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in multiple forms; exercise good time management skills, sound judgment, and attention to detail; professionally communicate orally and in writing; be able to work in a fast-paced team environment and recommend practical solutions. The candidate must have hands-on familiarity in at least four of the following areas: Incident Response, Vulnerability Management tools, Email Security Appliances, Web Security Appliances, SIEMs, Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware Products, Firewalls, and log management.
Duties. The IT Security Specialist is part of the team responsible for planning, implementing, and maintaining security equipment, software, documentation, and policies. The specialist also supports security incident response activities and provides technical support for issues related to national systems.
- Remain apprised of Judiciary security policies and procedures.
- Assist the IT Security Manager in the development and administration of security policies and procedures.
- Explore new and innovative security technologies, which can transform the information security posture of the organization.
- Monitor information systems and networks for security incidents and proactively mitigate and investigate suspicious activity.
- Use automated security remediation tools, like Tenable Nessus, Fortify or Acunetix, to conduct security risk and vulnerability assessments of information systems and identify weaknesses, risks, and protection requirements.
- Coordinate with responsible IT personnel to facilitate the patching and mitigation of identified vulnerabilities, including tracking of the security patching activities to completion.
- Develop, update, and maintain documentation related to all aspects of enterprise IT security systems.
- Ensure project milestones are completed in the appropriate order and on schedule.
- Understand industry standard methodologies to create, employ and implement repeatable processes to information technology security services to improve security measures & efficiency.
- Provide technical support to other Federal Defender IT personnel relating to IT security systems.
This is a public trust position and as a condition of employment, the selected candidate must successfully complete a ten-year background investigation with periodic updates every five years thereafter. Employment will be considered provisional pending the successful completion of the initial ten-year background investigation. Continued employment will depend upon the successful completion and favorable determinations based on investigation results thereafter. A bachelor’s degree is preferred. Higher education may be substituted for experience.
Salary and Benefits. Starting salary will be fixed commensurate with experience and qualifications within a range from JSP-9, Step 1, to JSP-13, Step 1, and currently yielding $59,908 to $92,795 per annum. The position is in the excepted service and does not have the tenure rights of the competitive Civil Service. The position does carry regular government employment benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, and the Thrift Savings Plan. Salary is payable only by Electronic Funds Transfer (direct deposit).
How to Apply. Qualified persons may apply by submitting a letter of interest (mentioning announcement number 21-11), a résumé, and a list of three references to: Maureen Scott Franco, Federal Public Defender, Western District of Texas, 7550 IH-10 West, Suite 200, San Antonio, Texas 78229 or you may submit your letter of interest and resume in a single PDF document through Indeed.com or LinkedIn.com. The document should be named as follows: "Announcement number, position title, last name, first name" (e.g. 21-11 IT Security Specialist, Smith, John). Electronic submissions to the Defender will not be accepted. For applicants with disabilities, this organization provides reasonable accommodations, which are determined case-by-case. To request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, contact Victoria B. Longoria, Personnel Administrator, at (210) 981-2081. More than one position may be filled from this announcement. Position announced February 10, 2021 subject to the availability of funds; open until filled.
The Federal Public Defender is an equal-opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $59,908.00 - $92,795.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- System security: 3 years (Required)
- Incident response: 2 years (Required)
- certifications (Preferred)
- One location
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
Job Location Information:
City: San Antonio
Location: San Antonio, Tx 78229
Share this job on:
Top 10 Tips When Finding a Job
If that you are not kidding approximately on the lookout for Jobs, you’re going to agree that it is without doubt one of the hardest jobs in this day and age. Most often, you are going to haven’t any clue where or what to look for within the job market. The good factor is that you are not by yourself. There are several people out there who are jobless such as you. Finding a job even in a business center can also be easy if you already know where to start. Before you start your job looking procedure, listed below are tips that will help you find your dream job.
1. Job Centers
Job corporations are a fantastic and regularly overpassed hots pot for locating Jobs. Job firms repeatedly provide crucial coaching, belongings, and techniques for job seekers. These corporations may also be particularly useful for younger job seekers or those with little running enjoy. A simple Internet scan for job firms on your areamust uncover where and the right way to get to them.
2. Temporal agencies
Many companies make a selection to have their positions dispatched through temporal agencies. The end purpose for that is to save money on consultant benefits like healthcare. Temporally agencies likewise supply firms the best way of screening applicants. Employment products and services can regularly be a faster and not more daunting job than finding direct employment. An employment company would possibly likewise turn into into a long-lasting task for the individuals who perform well all over their running.
3. Free job look products and services
This is a waste of cash whilst money is now tight in the first place. After all, the cash you pay for job searching web sites is imposed deductible if you’re on a job. It’s smarter to make use of the money to pay for expenses.
4. Look at the nearby school
When finding a job, never forget your school. Some schools additionally have coordinate contract positions, so check with them can be useful in finding a new career. If you talk with your teachers, they will be on the lookout for positions that match your training and experience. Some schools may need you to go to their offices for an informal interview. Here you can step through an examination on their PC. You’ll talk with a recruiter to examine exactly what you want.
Newspapers are often an overlooked apparatus for finding Jobs. Smaller businesses still use newspapers as their method when looking for Job applicants. Most newspapers will have their job listings online too. Some may ask the companies to have the listings online. There could be listings in the paper that don’t appear online.
6. Foot hunts
If that you are tired by ineffective attempts at finding a job using one of the above methods, getting out and looking for employers will yield better results. Showing up in person often demonstrates determination and initiative that most employers will find alluring in a potential representative.
7. Online Forums
Joining online forums is another good way of finding your new job. Here you will get companies that are ready to hire you and work with you. Make sure that you join as many online job finding as possible. Ensure that you describe your profile well so that your employers can know who you are.
8. Look at corporate websites
Most corporate websites are good places that can give a job. Look for websites and companies which you would love work with. On the careers page find out if there an open vacancy which matches your expertise. You can also send an email to the HR and ask for consideration.
9. Ask friends
Friends are the best at finding jobs. Before you go out, call all your friends and ask if they have any job connections that match your skills. In most cases, the job search connection will be wide and at last, you will land on one vacancy.
10. Make application regularly
Never be tired of applying. Make sure that you keep on applying for the new jobs that are posted every day. Avoid mentioning that you have done ten applications so far.
When finding a Job, don’t waste time on applications that are complicated for a job you don’t know if you want. Don’t open positions that are not exactly what you want. Tap on them thinking that it may be an approach to get your foot in the entryway.